April 2nd: NaPoWriMo: Self-Care


Self-Care

Languishing
half in morning sunlight
tongue curving around her paw in gorgeous arcs
the small black cat
that shares my room
takes in the surface of herself

I take her in, between pushups
sit-ups, stretching, dancing
loving the cinnamon halo of her in the sun

Soft thoughts to such a soft friend

my own thoughts of myself often feel harsh
not enough forgetful lazy too big thoughts
Cutting Words directed at the soft places

I wish for words of sunlight
guiding me, opening and revealing
to soothe and lick and clean
all of that crude
I catch in my hair as I go

We go
daily into the maelstrom of menacing society
expectations of impossible success
breaking our fingers and backs against the concrete wall of Words
we break, our outsides seem flimsy
“If only I had that product, that person, that life, then I would be stronger. Better.
Happier”

“Care” becomes the switch, the stick, to beat the detestable away
or “Care” becomes the drug, the addiction, the blindfold

I want care to be soft, delicious, loving
a warm honey balm
or a cat in the sun

Comments

  1. I do love this one. Though I'm but sure I like the idea of licking myself clean as an act of self care..

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

April 6th: Transparent

April 12th: Stone and Foundation

Just A Small Town Girl...