April 3rd: Kintsugi

April 3rd

Kintsugi

In Japan there is an art to loving what is broken
a chipped bowl is not thrown away
but filled in with gold
it's history shining through
I have one such object in my life

A tattered jean button-up shirt
faded on the shoulders
fraying and paint-stained
my mother's shirt
my college stage makeup coverup
this light and airy friend
that became my security blanket
at Blues Recess, a dance get-away
where I stripped away inhibitions
bared skin and soul and love

you wear the years with such grace

I cannot bear to let you go yet
You, who have waited many long years
in the dark of a sewing project “someday I'll fix that” bag
fly! Into this uncertain time
Here are roughly made wings
imperfectly NOW and HERE
I yearn to feel you on my skin
a kind touch, motherly
reminding me I am not broken
just waiting for renewal


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

April 6th: Transparent

April 12th: Stone and Foundation

Just A Small Town Girl...