Day 8: Favorite Animated Character

While doing this particular day I realized that I love animated films, but I had no particular connection to any of them. The closest I could come to was Cinderella, which was my favorite movie when I was little. 


As you can see from my picture, it definitely is not Cinderella. While she is a great gal, I can't say the woman that I am now feels particularly close to her. Betty Boop caught my attention for a bit, but she soon tiptoed back into the depths of my mind. 


Then out flew Kiki's Delivery Service.


For those not familiar with the movie, it is a sweet coming of age story of a 13 year old witch named Kiki, who follows the tradition of going to another city and living for a year by herself. She doesn't have many skills (she can barely fly) and the villain she must conquer is her own insecurities. 


I took this bit from Wikipedia:

"According to Miyazaki the movie touches on the gulf that exists between independence and reliance in Japanese teenage girls.[2] Going far beyond coming of age themes, the work deals with the nature of creativity and talent, and the central difficulty every person faces in becoming themselves, whether through luck, hard work or confidence."


When I first saw this movie, I think I was 16, I didn't think much of it. I thought it nice, but was missing the big adventure, and juicy romance, and generally anything of what I had come to expect from anime. 


NOW, at this point in my life, nearing the end of my schooling, when I will be a Kiki myself and learn to really live on my own, I understand the movie more. And Kiki is a much braver character to me. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

April 6th: Transparent

April 13th: Song of Wet Stone

Just A Small Town Girl...