I refuse to accept it as a weed. I don't like my lawn completely green and nicely clipped, like a Marine's haircut. I like it wild, with long grass and sprouting little burst of joy every which way! Yes, the dandelion my friends! Its name comes from medieval latin, Dents Lioness, which translates to "tooth of the lion." True, not the most beautiful of flowers, and it is not coveted by flower enthusiasts or collected or sold for great amounts of money. I'll tell you what though, here is a list of things you can do with a dandelion: - Make dandelion wine from the flower - Eat the young leaves in a salad - Make a crown or necklace - Wish on the seeds - Roots can make a non-caffeinated like coffee substitute. They are also high in calcium, potassium, vitamin A and C, and they are useful as a diuretic and for treating urinary tract infections . Take that, orchids! And they are hardy little guys. Between the cracks of humanity's empires they have wedged th...
My first piece for this 30 day challenge! To draw myself. I'm getting it in a little later than I intended (after midnight, so technically I should be working on my next one now) but I hope the viewer will forgive me. I spent the evening well; drinking coronas and then watching The Blues Brothers with my roommate. :-) An evening very well spent! I honestly had a hard time at first deciding how I wanted to portray myself. Lately I've felt unclear of who I am, sketchy and not quite settled. It seemed appropriate to put my pen to paper and draw what I saw in the mirror without picking my pen up. The masks and the crow just come from the air. And I love trees. And doodling. I at first thought that this piece would be more monochromatic, with only a touch of color in the eyes and a smattering on the background. But as anyone who has worked with watercolor knows, it has a mind of it's own. A good reminder for me that I actually have very little control over things in my li...
Pretty straightforward, right? I would like to say that what I want most right now is to finish school, to find a good job, to go to Ghana even. I would like to say that what I want most is to create something amazing. Or have an adventure. Or have a really awesome night on the town (though, that sounds rather tempting...) But it all comes down to love, doesn't it? And finding the person that fits you, right? Anyway, I don't want this to be sappy. I know, as an only child, I need to work on my ability to be okay by myself. It's alright to be alone. Tanya Davis has a wonderful poem called How to Be Alone , something I stole from another blogger. Read it. It's fantastic. And really, it's when you can find solace and contentment with yourself, that moment when you are open to the world (but not grasping at it) when love happens. At least, I hope that's how it works. So far my old techniques have not been working. Like forcing my email on a guy I'v...
Comments
Post a Comment