Day 6: Favorite Book Character

Going back to my young adult book days, were adventure and magic ran as rampant through me as my changing hormones. :-p Some of the best stories I have found are for young adult. The worlds that are created by these authors are fantastic, and one of my favorite for high adventure and fantasy is Tamora Pierce, and her world of Tortall. What I love about her books is that she writes strong women characters. And my favorite of all is Keladry of Mindelan.

She is the Protector of the Small! A very mortal heroine, who does not have magic powers, or influential parents, or the protection of a goddess.  She has only her convictions, her will, and her sense of fair-play. She makes friends because she is such a badass of a character!

For those that have not read the books, in the land of Tortall it is frowned on for a woman to be a knight. But she does it. And the reader gets to follower her from age 10 to 18 as she struggles to fit in with a castle of boys and teachers that hate her for being a girl. She is treated unfairly, but does not complain. She becomes stronger for the obstacles they put in her way.

This may sound like a typical heroine description, but I cannot tell you how sick I get of my female protagonist characters complaining and messing up terribly and generally being sissies, until AT THE LAST MINUTE, they learn to be strong.

It sounds crazy to say, but I admire this fictional character. And I want to be her when I grow up. :-)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

April 6th: Transparent

April 13th: Song of Wet Stone

Just A Small Town Girl...