Day 3: Favorite Food

I had problems figuring out what I wanted to do. Chinese was the first pick for a while, but then I got to thinking about what kind of food gave me the best experience. And I couldn't say no to the blackberry. Especially the sun-warmed blackberries in august, when you get a big milk gallon and cut it up so it becomes your pail. And fighting through all the brambles to find that one, juicy, deep red delicious morsel.
And how it takes forever to fill the pail, because at least half of what you picked went right into your mouth. Yes, the simple blackberry.

Lessons of the Old Blackberry Picker

Move slowly
unrushed
unhurried
between the thorny bars 
to claim your
sweet prize
within

Less time than you think
my child
with eager eyes
and stained lips
your bowl 
will fill

This will be your triumph
among the blackberries;
More of their juices
will be within you
and less of your red sweetness
will be on them

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

April 6th: Transparent

April 13th: Song of Wet Stone

Just A Small Town Girl...