DAY 1: Yourself

My first piece for this 30 day challenge! To draw myself. I'm getting it in a little later than I intended (after midnight, so technically I should be working on my next one now) but I hope the viewer will forgive me. I spent the evening well; drinking coronas and then watching The Blues Brothers with my roommate. :-) An evening very well spent!

I honestly had a hard time at first deciding how I wanted to portray myself. Lately I've felt unclear of who I am, sketchy and not quite settled. It seemed appropriate to put my pen to paper and draw what I saw in the mirror without picking my pen up. The masks and the crow just come from the air. And I love trees. And doodling.




 I at first thought that this piece would be more monochromatic, with only a touch of color in the eyes and a smattering on the background. But as anyone who has worked with watercolor knows, it has a mind of it's own. A good reminder for me that I actually have very little control over things in my life. Often the art takes care of itself. 

So, I leave you with this picture and this poem:

I get up
I walk
I fall down
Meanwhile, I keep dancing...


Goodnight

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

April 6th: Transparent

April 13th: Song of Wet Stone

Just A Small Town Girl...