30 Day Poetry Challenge: Day 3 MONTANTO

Day 3: Montanto

Taken from The Globe Illustrated Much Ado About Nothing, p. 696. Apparently this is a term borrowed from the Italian schools of fencing, specifically a thrust.


My Move

Forward, parry
thrust thrust
retreat 
we play this game
of give and take
messager or text
the munstrum of our desire
hoping that our last words were vocative enough
to elicit more
wish that the words we conjure will not fall into the cracks of the internet Void

I fight my culture that tells me I should not make the first move
I banish shame as I type out a message, not too pushy, not too much 
just enough
to catch your eye
watch my rapier wit fly

Like Beatrice
who uses words to create a wall, to be herself and hold off the pain of expectation 
I want to love
but at this point in my life 
will fight for my heart
if you want it
you must match me wit to wit
skill to skill
blade to blade

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

April 6th: Transparent

April 13th: Song of Wet Stone

Just A Small Town Girl...