30 Days of Poetry: Day 12: GOING

Day 12: Going

Word taken from The Stranger Vol 26, No. 29 “Vive La Presistance!”

Going, Going, Gone

Remember when your hands were small
and grasped at everything?
The wide world was an all blossoming potential
and left you terrifyinglyexcited, breathless

6 Years old
untethered hair and mismatched socks
we thought
musician, world traveler, film star?
How will I know
when will I know
in the background trills “Que Sera, Sera!”

Then time rushed forward
eagerly
bumped it's head, skinned it's knee
We took on burdens we thought we had to bare
snapped on bras
Tamed our hair

Going, Going, Gone”
Became the new song
a frantic background beat
as my hands, no longer small
stretched and stretched
missing expectations
I could not meet

But I am a musician
conductor, dancer
artist of my life
and I can shape this tune again
I'll hold up handfuls of old dreams
and wish them a quiet end

I'll kiss them sweetly
thank their space
their bubble lightness
and let them....dissipate

But I'll keep the ones
that are made of stronger stuff
those I'll wear around my neck
because
they are enough


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

April 6th: Transparent

April 13th: Song of Wet Stone

Just A Small Town Girl...