30 Days of Poetry: Day 9: ANXIETY

Day 9: Anxiety

This word brought to you by The Volcano Lover, by Susan Sontag

When the Shoulds Come to Town

The Shoulds have come to town
they hammer at your door
demand if the TO DO's been done,
and if you have, then more!

They'll sit above your bed
dripping doubt upond your head
fill your dreams
of awkward things
racing heart
pounding dread

When the Shoulds come to town
you will hide where you can
at the bottom of a chip bag
or a beer can
watch a movie!
read a book!
play a game!
just don't look!

But when the Shoulds are in town
they'll bring all they own
they'll set up tents, houses, cities
and then they'll begin to moan

There's more to do! There's more to do!”
You've simply done not enough!”
Your overweight! To thin! Not smart!”
You're work is really rough!”

But the Shoulds have a weakness too
bend in closer, I'll whisper it here
they love that you try and look away
so to combate them you must stare

Look them squarly in the face
meet their eyes, stand your ground
dig down as deep as you can
and let your truth sound

You are an echo
shouted from dead mouths,
You are fear
from my manic culture,
You are blind,
to what is.
I accept you, as the part of me that wishes to grow
I accept you, as my vunerable voice venting
I am here, doing the things I can
learning, loving
leaving old habits behind.”


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

April 6th: Transparent

April 13th: Song of Wet Stone

Just A Small Town Girl...