30 Day Poetry Challenge: Day 26: LIKE

Day 26: Like

I'm feeling a bit raw today. Unhappy, unsure, sick, tired. The rose colored glasses are off ladies!
Taken from I Hope You Dance Poetry Journal of Ashlen Hodge, from the poem Why Do I Like You?


My parents gave me journals to write down my world
express with blood ink my heart on the page
my parents are my biggest fan and tells me often
I am blessed
and it destresses me
some
to see these words all lean one way
to crushes or lovers of bygone days
teenage angst
all misspelled out
even as I grew, my poetry did not
even NOW I give them this space

Oh how they alter me
all those men
oh how through their filters
I found my edges and textures
blown out by the over exposure of these
boys

And I am angry
I am angry that my view of those women that came before me
is seen through their eyes
cold hearted bitches, every one portrayed
and to think I join their ranks
I am cast as the witch
the cruel one
the hag
no one liked her, her eyes burned too brightly behind the matted multi colored hair
why woo an individual
when you can have the sterotype?

I like you
written on a scrap of paper
do you like me?
Mark yes or no
maybe
I want to move passed those days of waiting
waiting
for the circled response
before I know my path
before I know myself


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

April 6th: Transparent

April 13th: Song of Wet Stone

Just A Small Town Girl...