30 Days of Poetry: Day 30: THEN

Day 30: Then

This is my last word. My last poem, at the end of this 30 days of pushing something out. Around about the middle it felt like I would never keep finding inspiration. I felt that I would find some words that were absolute duds. Or that my brain would just become blank. But, surprisingly, with a little faith in myself and what kind of creative power I have, it's all there. All I need. And I can ask for it, anytime.

So, taken from Argyll Folk Tales by Bob Pegg, from page 45 about the hero Finn McCool, I bring you such a small everyday word that really stitches together all of our lives. And all of our stories.


And then...

This word bookmarks the Past;
slides an old envelope between the pages of your history,
that much read book with dog-eared pages.
It can be a flash of sweetness on your tongue
as you recall a ray of sunshine from your childhood.
It can be a closed door
on a memory of pain
a promise of Never Again

It becomes a transition

It moves the story along
The child, eager to tell their story, uses it as the road forward,
footsteps to fill,
as they find their way along storytelling's twisting path
and then this happened, and THEN this next thing happened...”
From it's rather mundane shape
anything can emerge:
disasters and dragons
unexpected love
death and birth
a universe unfolding

So, we began with Once
and moved into a journey
whether accepted or not,
calling out to us,
and have found ourselves in troubled lands
with a few precious possessions wrapped in a fraying hankerchief
and

Then

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

April 6th: Transparent

April 13th: Song of Wet Stone

Just A Small Town Girl...