30 Days of Poetry: Day 25: SLUGLIKE


Day 25: Sluglike

I don't always feel this way, but on days when I am coming down with something and just want to go home, the feeling is strong. If you are an adult that has children or works with children, you understand. 
This word was found on p. 183 from The Restaurant at the End of the Universe, from The Ultimate Hitchhikers Guide by Douglas Adams, that genius. 


Swinging with ease
legs dangling
eyes alive to the challenge
look at me! Teacher, look at me!”
they loop along the bars, twisting in midair
demand my absolute attention
no wavering glance accepted

These star beings glow so brightly
for hours they bounce and glide
I am never slower than here
a sloth among hummingbirds
never do I feel so weary
than herding these magnificant cats

Any adult who loves a child knows this

Each day you shave off a piece of your soul
drop the sliver into their eager wating mouths
Watch them smile and twirl
grow into something beautiful and bold
you hope
it is the way of the world

This is natures way
the adults, the elders
as they decay, that life force is given on
the nurse tree that falls to nothing

to nurture the seed

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

April 6th: Transparent

April 13th: Song of Wet Stone

Just A Small Town Girl...