30 Day Poetry Challenge: Day 27: MOTHER

Day 27: Mother


This word, because everywhere I look it is there. This word because this person has had a huge impact on my life, and deserves to be honored. This poem hardly even touches the surface of what I have been given by this woman. Her stories. Her time. Her heart. She has cleaned me up when I've been covered in blood, snot, sick, mud, tears. She is always learning and growing. She showed me how our hair is unique and beautiful and needed to be nourished the way it was. Oh friends, this woman is amazing. Her is a slice of that picture. 




When I was born,
my mother wove birds into my hair
blue birds of happiness

They settled there for the long haul
they wove ribbons and moonlight into their nest
raised their young
taught them the song

My mother gave me her curls
passed from her mother and her mother
done a long line of women and men
these gave me permission to be me
take up the space I needed

My mother gave me her love of dance
I am reminded after movies
as the credits rolled
this was our time to shimmy and shake
celebrate our time together

My mother gave me her love
filled me to the brim
and that is why I love how I do
across oceans

This is my mother, who is beautiful. My mother, who is elegant like a fairy, and who has a sweetness and determinaiton that is something to behold.

My mother is a swan, gorgeous and unique
My mother is an artist, determined to follower her passions


My mother is wise. She has a listening heart.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

April 6th: Transparent

April 13th: Song of Wet Stone

Just A Small Town Girl...